by Randy Roberts
Michael Thompson had the best round of the day, a 3 under beauty that vaulted him up the leaderboard early. As the rest of the golfers ahead of him played the tough 1st through 6th holes, they slowly dropped and came back to where Michael was on the leaderboard. After it was all said and done, he finished tied for 2nd with Graeme McDowell, one shot behind the eventual winner Webb Simpson. He had the best score of the 1st and 4th rounds and had the most birdies of anyone in the field.
With the T2 finish, Michael earned $695,916, locking up his 2013 PGA Tour card and earning an invite to the 2013 Masters and U.S. Open. He also moves from #107 to #52 on the OWGR list, #105 to #39 on the money list, and #90 to #39 on the FedEx Cup list. All in all, I'd say it was a great Sunday!
Random Notes from the day:
- Michael finished the tough 1-6 hole stretch in one under par, the best he did all week by two strokes
- He had the two lowest round scores (1st and 4th rounds)
- "Michael Thompson" was a US twitter trending topic after he finished his round
- Michael's parents and in-laws were present this week. We can check "fathers day gift" off his list now.
- Michael hit the most fairways of anyone on Sunday. 11 of 14. This was key since he had been struggling in the second and third rounds trying to do so. He ranked 41st overall.
- He had more birdies than anyone else, 16 (12 of which were on par 4 holes)
PGA Tour Money List
FedEx Cup List
Post round interview
Michael Thompson Finishes Tied for Second at U.S. Open
Thompson grabs another runner-up finish at Olympic
Thompson bolstered by finish
Thompson Bridesmaid Again at Olympic
Thompson has major week at Olympic
Transcript from another post round interview
Birdies and Bogeys: Birdie - Michael Thompson